Veterinarian Madalyn Ward provides information about basic horse care, horse hoof care, and treatment for equine founder in horses. Dr. Ward is a horse chiropractor specializing in foundered horses, horse nutrition, equine acupuncture, treatment of equine health problems and healing. Through her blog and newsletter, Madalyn provides additional advice on horse supplements, equine nutrition, laminitis, and horse and mule health.
Read Dr. Ward’s Most Recent Blog Post…
Horseman’s Health: Natural Solutions for How to Slim Down – Your Horse Will Thank You
Just kidding, I’m sure your horse loves you just the way you are and doesn’t mind carrying those few extra pounds you’ve been trying to lose. But you know that extra weight puts stress on your heart and other body organs and just isn’t healthy for you in lots of ways. If you’ve been trying to find ways of how to slim down, here are some natural solutions tips to help you out.
1. Match your physical activity to your calorie intake. Physical activity or exercise is absolutely necessary for weight loss. If you are stuck with some extra weight that just won’t seem to go away, it could be that you are not getting enough physical activity to burn off the calories from what you are eating. When looking for ways for how to slim down, adding in extra exercise may be what you need to drop those last few stubborn pounds.
2. Find a way to deal with your stress. Stress causes the adrenal glands to release a hormone that increases blood sugar levels and results in the body storing fat. Stress also causes many people to seek comfort foods which are usually foods high in fat, carbs and sugars. Find what works for you to relax and take a break from stress, such as starting meditation, yoga, a relaxing hobby, or going for a relaxing ride in nature with your horse.
3. Eat more often. That sounds like a strange way to lose weight I know. But studies have shown that eating smaller meals more often throughout the day increases metabolism which is one way of how to slim down.
4. Increase metabolism with digestive enzymes. Another natural solution for boosting your metabolism is taking enzymes at mealtimes and in between meals. These enzymes contain amylase, cellulase, lipase, protease, and lactase to support efficient digestion and avoid that energy lag that often occurs after eating. These enzymes give you even more digestive support with cayenne and other substances added in that help increase metabolism, burn fat, digest a wide variety of foods, and clean up waste in the body. Enymes break up the fats, carbohydrates, protein, and fiber, from foods we eat and allow them to be converted into nutritional forms the body can use for energy.
5. One of the most important natural solutions for how to slim down involves looking at the types of food you are eating. Processed foods, junk foods and all those types of foods with preservatives, sugars, fats and salt are not conducive to weight loss. Making a change in your diet to eating organic whole foods may be just what you need to get rid of those pesky pounds you just can’t seem to get rid of.
Set yourself some rules as to what you will and will not eat. Stick with lean sources of protein such as white meat chicken without the skin (skin adds extra fat), complex carbohydrates instead of simple carb foods, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats instead of foods with saturated and trans fats. Did you know it takes more energy for your body to process protein than carbohydrates or fats? If you’re looking for how to slim down, increasing protein with low fat dairy, beans, or lean meats will make you feel full longer so you avoid snacking and don’t feel like you’re being starved like you do on some diets. AFA bluegreen algae is also a good source for high quality protein.
Eating foods with complex carbs with fiber is another way to eat less and still feel full. To get complex carbs into your diet, make sure you are adding whole grains, vegetables and fruits to your meals. Many fruits and veggies are also full of antioxidants and rich in flavonoids which are good for boosting metabolism, low in calories and good for burning off extra fat. Pears, apples, onions, leeks, black beans, eggplant, tomatoes, okra, broccoli, peppers, tea and dark chocolate are all good sources of flavonoids. Just don’t go for the dark chocolate all the time as it has many more calories than veggies.
There are also studies showing that eating monounsaturated fats can help with how to slim down because they also keep you feeling filled up with eating less. Foods with monounsaturated fat include avocados, nuts, olives and oils such as olive oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, and canola oil. Add these sparingly to your diet though as fats are high in calories.
6. Ubiquinol is an active form of Coenzyme Q10 that works much like antioxidants in keeping body cells healthy. There are not many foods that we can get enough from so supplementation is important. This supplement has the ubiquiol to help support cell energy, and also has reishi mushrooms for a complete whole food rich in proteins, enzymes, minerals, and complex polysaccharides and oyster mushrooms for fiber, vitamin D, niacin, iron and the antioxidant ergothioneine as well as has the many added benefits of superfood bluegreen algae loaded with omega-3s.
You are now armed with several natural solutions to consider for how to slim down and lose those extra pounds. Your horse may not care if you are a bit overweight, but he certainly will thank you for improving your health so that you have a healthier, longer life to share spending time with him.
If you enjoyed this post or found it helpful, let me know by leaving a comment below. You can also find me on Facebook where I always appreciate a LIKE. To order any of the products mentioned in this post or other products for you or your horses, please visit my online store.